Postoperative Care – Your First 48 Hours
Cosmetic Surgery in New Jersey – Paramus / Bergen County
- VERY IMPORTANT: If you have excessive bleeding or pain, call the office at (201) 261-7550, day or night
- YOUR FIRST 24 HOURS: If you are going home, a family member or friend must drive you because you have been sedated. Someone should stay overnight with you. If you choose to go to a postoperative center, they will provide transportation. If you have any questions about these matters, please ask one of our nursing staff.
- DRESSINGS: Keep your dressings as clean and dry as possible. Do not remove them unless instructed to do so.
- ACTIVITY: Take it easy and pamper yourself. Try to avoid any straining. You may go to the bathroom, sit and watch TV, etc., but NO MATTER HOW GOOD YOU FEEL, DO NOT CLEAN THE HOUSE, REARRANGE THE ATTIC, ETC.! We do not want you to bleed and cause any more swelling and bruising that is unavoidable.
- ICE PACKS: Cold or ice packs help to reduce swelling, bruising, and pain. Use a cool compress (washcloth) or crush ice cubes and put the ice into a zip-lock bag. This should help, not hurt. If the ice feels too uncomfortable, don’t use it as often.
- DIET: If you have any postoperative nausea, carbonated sodas and dry crackers may settle the stomach. If nausea is severe, call the office. If you feel normal, start with liquids and bland foods, and if those are well tolerated, progress to a regular diet.
- SMOKING: Smoking reduces capillary flow in your skin. We advise you do not smoke at all during the first 10 days after surgery.
- ALCOHOL: Alcohol dilates the blood vessels and could increase postoperative bleeding. Please do not drink until you have stopped taking the prescription pain pills, as the combination of pain pills and alcohol can be dangerous.
- DRIVING: Please don’t drive for at least 2 days after general anesthesia or intravenous sedation or while taking prescription pain pills.
- POSTOPERATIVE APPOINTMENTS: It is very important that you follow the schedule of appointments we establish after surgery.
Every year, numerous individuals researching plastic surgeons in New Jersey choose Dr. Robert Zubowski as their plastic surgeon. Dr. Zubowski treats all of his patients with the utmost attentiveness and dedication, consistently delivering outstanding results. Some of the procedures his patients inquire about most often include rhinoplasty, face lift, and breast implants in New Jersey. In addition, Dr. Zubowski is renowned throughout the United States and internationally as an exceptionally gifted New Jersey body contouring and liposuction surgeon.
Back to top